Next Meeting - Agenda and Details Below
Our next meeting
The Baptist Church, Castle St, Calne SN11 0DX Tuesday 23rd July from 7:30PM
We shall open with feedback from the Working Groups we set up at our June meeting.
These groups have been in contact with local organisations and businesses asking as to their current and future plans to cope with Climate Change.
Energy, setting up a renewable energy co-op – Fiona
Local Business, shops etc and transport – Denis
Education, to include Secondary/Primary/College – David & Stan
Exploring other local groups e.g. Greenpeace – Margaret & Dona
Farming and plant producers – Peter & Maureen
Housing, Planning and ending plastic bags – John
Media, events and exploring ways of measuring carbon footprint – Tom
We also hope to have a short but relevant film to share.
Please come along to listen and share your ideas.
What would take to make a carbon zero town?
- Existing buildings are retrofitted to cut energy use.
- New buildings must meet net-zero carbon standards.
- Our electricity, heat and transport systems are powered by renewable energy.
- We drive and/or fly less thanks to better public transport, walking and cycling infrastructure and new incentives.
- Food waste is avoided, and the amount of meat in our diets is reduced.
How can we get there?
- Hold the Town and Wiltshire Councils accountable on their 'Green' promises and policies.
- Encourage Calne Town Council to revisit the issue of poor air quality in central Calne.
- Support the campaign for the council to place charging points in the town centre.
- Contact the councils (Wilts and Town) on their plans to reduce carbon.
- Ask local bus companies when they plan to introduce electric buses.
- Identify local businesses and institutions to contact on their plans for reducing carbon.(Such as those onPorteMarsh industrial estate, Doctors surgeries, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Schools, Bus companies, Hills)
- Find out more about a local renewable energy co-op. Other small towns have them.Nearby Frome has one http://freco.org/about-us/
- Plus all the ideas you can bring to our upcoming meeting.
Click here to see our Facebook page
Click here to email us
Stay in touch, send us your ideas: